"That will be sufficient. I have no further questions for you. You may leave."\nThe door opens after the voice finishes. As you leave the room you see that there is a large office at the end of the hall. It appears deserted, but there is a phone that is operational. An hour later you meet the local sheriff at the road outside of the compound. Your ordeal is finally over.\n\n*You survived!*\n
Not feeling like music you turn on Agriculture Hour. It is a fitting station for your drive through the Midwest. Today's program is about GenAg's new pesticide G89X. Feeling enlightened, you listen to the remainder of the program. When the programming ends, you notice that you are running low on gasoline and had better exit the highway to fill up your tank.\nTaking the nearest exit you end up driving for many miles before you finally see a gas station. Thinking that there must be a faster route to return to the highway you go inside to ask the clerk for directions. He gives you a hand drawn map of the local roads. Following the clerk's directions it is smooth sailing, or at least it is until your car sputters to a stop.\nYou are not a mechanic, but even to you it is obvious the car is not going anywhere without assistance. Taking out your cell phone you realize that you have no service, so you will have to try and flag down a passing car.\n[[Aggressively step out onto the road to flag down a motorist.|3A]]\n[[Patiently wait along the shoulder for someone to stop.|3B]]\n
After double checking the ropes securing your belongings to the roof of your car, you hop inside. Everything looks great! Starting down the road, you don't look back. Being a camp counselor was tough. But now your only challenge is keeping your eyes on the road and finding something to listen to on the radio.\n[[Talk radio is relaxing.|1A]]\n[[Turn on some music.|1B]]\n[[Sit in silence and reflect on your summer.|1C]]
Although you are done with the camp for the summer you cannot stop thinking about it. So many regrets. If only you had been more active in pursuing a relationship with the other counselor from across the lake. Dwelling on the events of the midsummer dance, you don't notice the hours pass as you drive down the highway. Realizing that you are running low on gasoline you decide it would be best to exit the highway to fill up your tank.\nTaking the nearest exit you end up driving for many miles before you finally see a gas station. Thinking that there must be a faster route to return to the highway you go inside to ask the clerk for directions. He gives you a hand drawn map of the local roads. Following the clerk's directions it is smooth sailing, or at least it is until your car sputters to a stop.\nYou are not a mechanic, but even to you it is obvious the car is not going anywhere without assistance. Taking out your cell phone you realize that you have no service, so you will have to try and flag down a passing car.\n[[Aggressively step out onto the road to flag down a motorist.|3A]]\n[[Patiently wait along the shoulder for someone to stop.|3B]]
You fidget with the dial until you find a clear signal in the sea of static. Soaking in the pure joy that is listening to polka, you lose yourself in the music which is prodivded by GenAg the, Sunday sponsor since its establishment in 1954. When the music ends, you notice that you are running low on gasoline and had better exit the highway to fill up your tank.\nTaking the nearest exit you end up driving for many miles before you finally see a gas station. Thinking that there must be a faster route to return to the highway you go inside and ask the clerk for directions. He gives you a hand drawn map of the local roads. Following the directions it is smooth sailing, or at least it is until your car sputters to a stop.\nYou are not a mechanic, but even you know the car is not going anywhere without assistance. Taking out your cellphone you realize that you have no service, so you will have to try and flag down a passing car.\n[[Aggressively step out onto the road to flag down a motorist.|3A]]\n[[Patiently wait along the shoulder for someone to stop.|3B]]
After waiting in your car for two hours watching the sun set, you give up on the charity of others and decide to take matters into your own hands. You can see what appears to be a farmstead and a few barns with lights on down the road. Leading up to the structure you see a well maintained dirt path between two corn fields. You can't tell exactly what it is, but everything seems troublingly pristine at this farm. But it looks like your only chance if you are going to contact a tow truck.\n[[Walk down the dirt path towards the buildings.|4A]]\n[[Wander into the corn just to be safe while you get a closer look.|4B]]\n[[Turn around and return to your car.|4C]]
Your plan worked! Stepping out into the road did get a car to stop for you, but unfortunately it was after they had driven over you. \n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END\n\n
As you turn away, the robot fires a Taser out of its chest. Losing control of the muscles in your legs, you drop to your knees. Hearing the robot drive away from you, you feel a sense of relief. That is until the corn roots wrap themselves around your neck.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Sprinting down the path you see a hulking figure emerging from the corn. The sight of the monstrosity alone is enough to stop you in your tracks. The machine makes the ground beneath you shakes as it approaches. You are too stunned to fight back as it picks you up and carries you off into the corn.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Casually strolling into the corn you only look back once you are satisfied that you cannot be seen from the path. However the corn is not dense enough to obscure your view of the massive figure now guarding the path. \n[[Continue following the row of corn deeper into the field.|6A]]\n[[Wait until the your persuer has left and return to the path.|6C]]\n
You decide it is not a good idea to approach a mysterious light in the middle of the field. Immediately you regret your decision when you realize you cannot find any remnants of your trail. Starting to panic you look around for the light you had seen seconds before, but it is nowhere to be found. Feeling the rows of corn grow closer, you know you will be crushed between the stalks in a few minutes.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Easily flattening the corn stalks you start to clear a path, but it is slow going through the unbelievably dense corn. You reach a small clearing that contains nothing more than a small shed which is the source of the light. There is a soft clicking coming from behind you.\n[[Turn back and try to locate the source of the noise.|8A]]\n[[Hustle to the shed and try to get inside.|8B]]
The spider is unfazed. In fact it only seems more determined. Reaching for a garden shear you try one last time to hack off the creature's mandibles, but it is not enough. You feel the fangs pierce your thigh, but this pain rapidly dissipates as the venom surges throughout your body, numbing you completely.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
The stream of chemical lands squarely on the critter causing it to smoke and shake violently before it drops to the ground. Fortifying the door to prevent anything else from entering, you spend the night in the shed. It does not make sense to continue wandering around in the dark.\n\n[[You wake up as the sun starts to come through cracks in the roof of the shed.|10]]\n
Following your small companion down the dirt path you see what appears to be a tall metallic scarecrow coming toward you. Thinking that you made a mistake by deciding to follow this strange robot, you grow hesitant. Indeed you have made a mistake. The scarecrow hoists you up by the ankle and carries you off into the corn. \n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
The robot did not like being ignored and started beeping at a much higher frequency. Seconds later the robot detonates. Engulfed in the explosion, you never did reach the building. \n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
"It is not trivia. These answers are general knowledge for anyone affiliated with GenAg."\n[[Clearly it was 1967.|13D]]\n[[How about 1979?|13D]]\n[[I think it was 1954.|13E]]
Half an hour passes before you see anything. It appears to be a road, and not just a small gravel one. Walking out onto the shoulder of the road you are able to flag down a car almost immediately. The elderly gentleman looks puzzled, but is happy to take you into town.\n\n*You Survived!*\n\n
Now soaking wet, you start walking south along the fence. In the grass there is a metallic box. You see that the box is resting on top of human remains. They have been there a long time and only bones remain.\n[[Open the box.|17A]]\n[[Leave the body and box alone.|17B]]
Running along the fence you cannot find an opening. As you start to climb you lose feeling in your arms and fall backwards off the fence. Lying on the ground you wait as the rest of your body succumbs to the toxin.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
As your hand contacts the fence, you feel your body ignite in a burst of pain. It turns out that since the last time you crossed over the fence it has become electrified. Normally you would recover after touching an electric fence, but GenAg has slightly stronger security.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
After explaining your situation there is a brief silence. "You need to have an identification number to access any of the facilities. Without one we will have to detain you until a member of our staff returns to release you."\n"How long will that be?" You ask.\n"It should not be long. The last staff visit was on August 3, 2003. The next one will occur in only 2530 days."\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Cutting Through the Corn
Leaving the shed you are stunned by how different your surroundings look when they are fully illuminated. You can now see easily down all the rows of corn and there are no signs of danger. However, you have no idea where to go. \n[[North.|11A]]\n[[East.|11B]]\n[[South.|11B]]\n[[West.|11C]]\n
Quickly scrambling up the fence, you reach the top. Jumping into the water you feel the burning sensation dissipate. Feeling better, you emerge from the water.\n[[Cross over the fence again.|14C]]\n[[Head North along the outside of the fence.|14D]]\n[[Travel South along the outside of the fence.|14E]]
4037858392 you say loudly and with confidence. The voice does not respond. It feels like you will have a long wait in the tiny room or maybe not. Without any ventilation your oxygen supply cannot last too long.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
"Yes, you are correct. Now you may answer the final question.\n"Generally in the process of denitrification which form of nitrogen is the end product?"\n[[NO2-.|13D]]\n[[N2.|13H]]\n[[NO3-|13D]]\n[[NH4+.|13D]]
Walking through the rows of corn parallel to the path, you get the feeling that someone is watching you. Soon the buildings come into view and you realize it is a GenAg research facility. Not knowing much about the corporation, you are unsure what goes on here. Anyway you think it would be best if you did not interfere with their research. \n[[Walk out of the corn and toward the buildings.|15A]]\n[[Explore the corn and maybe interfeer with their research afterall.|15B]]\n[[Stay out of the way as much as possible and return to your car.|4C]]\n
When you have shut the car door behind you it becomes obvious that you will be waiting awhile, so you take a nap.\nWaking abruptly you cannot come to your senses quickly enough to even identify what it was that pulled you out of your car and into the corn.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Walking around the corn, you set foot on the dirt path. Getting your first clear look at the structures, you realize that it is not a farm house. You are at a GenAg research facility. It seems odd that the place is completely deserted, but after all it is a Sunday evening. As you walk closer to what appears to be the main building you hear a series of loud, metallic thuds behind you.\n[[Continue on down the path.|5A]]\n[[Nonchalantly walk into the corn field.|5B]]\n
"The standard protocol for forgotten identification numbers applies to this situation. Please prepare to answer a series of questions to prove your affiliation with GenAg.\nFirst, what year was GenAg established?"\n[[Clearly it was 1967.|13D]]\n[[How about 1979?|13D]]\n[[I think it was 1954.|13E]]\n[[Are you serious? I have to answer trivia?|13F]]
Moving toward the center of the field it is easy going at first, but the further in you travel, the tighter the rows become until you are forced to walk sideways to fit between them. After several minutes of this, you are having trouble fitting between the rows at all. As you are about to start clearing a path by breaking stalks, you notice a light up ahead. You can't help but be concerned as to why there is a light in the middle of a field.\n[[Continue on ahead to the light.|7A]]\n[[Turn back to avoid the source of the light.|7B]]
You did not make it far before the large mechanical figure once again stepped out from the corn in front of you. In the daylight you get a better view of the robot as it raises an arm and sprays a cloud of mist in your direction. Your world starts to spin. Then there is darkness.\n\nSlowly adjusting to the bright light that fills the room, you see only solid walls. A mechanical voice fills the room. \n"Please list your GenAg identification number."\n[[Make up a number to satisfy the voice.|13A]]\n[[Explain that you are lost and do not have a number.|13B]]\n[[Lie and tell it that you have forgotten your number.|13C]]
Preoccupied by the figure you have been watching, you do not notice the large ant hill you are standing on. While you wait, the ants begin crawling up your legs. You don't notice until you can no longer feel your legs.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Pushing through the corn heading north, the morning dew on the corn quickly soaks your clothing. As you keep walking your skin starts to itch and burn. The feeling gradually intensifies. By the time you emerge onto a paved trail your skin feels like it is on fire. Continuing to run you follow the trail until you reach a fence beyond which you see a small pond.\n[[Climb over the fence.|14A]]\n[[Search the fence for a gap.|14B]]\n
"Yes, it was 1954. Now you may answer the second question.\n"An ear of corn comes from what part of the plant?"\n[[The stalk.|13D]]\n[[The roots.|13D]]\n[[The Flower.|13G]]
Heading west seemed like the best idea. You had a hunch that you had come from that direction the night before. After only several minutes of walking you find the familiar, dirt path you are relieved to finally be out of the corn.\n[[Follow the path towards the buildings.|13]]\n[[Take the path back to your car.|13]]
You take a chance and walk into the corn. Not knowing where to go, you stick with one row and assume it will eventually reach an end in one direction or another. After being lost among the green stalks for over eight hours, exhaustion and fatigue become overwhelming. You are forced to lie down. \n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END\n
Reaching the building, you find that the door opens easily. Inside it looks like a typical shed. There are some gardening tools and lawn chemicals, a wheelbarrow, and extension cords. Looking over your shoulder you notice a yellow and black spider the size of a large dog moving quickly toward you. You have only seconds to react.\n[[Take a shovel from the wall of tools and swing it at the spider.|9A]]\n[[Grab the jug labeled G89X sitting on the flood and dump the compound on the enormous arachnid.|9B]]\n[[Take the aerosol bottle of GenAg-Rid-Pest from the shelf to your left and spray it towards the beast.|9A]]\n[[You hoist the cinderblock resting on the ground by your feet and quickly fling it at the spider's head.|9A]]\n\n
Turning back to the corn, you cannot find the path that you emerged from only seconds before, but you do notice that the noise is growing louder. As you probe around trying to find any trace of your path, you feel a smooth hard shape press up against your leg. Reluctantly you look down you see a spider the size of a large dog. Before you are able to move the spider clamps its jaws around your leg.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Walking past the body you avert your eyes, but while you are looking off into the distance you do not notice what is underfoot until you hear a click. Freezing in place you kneel down and push aside the grass revealing the landmine you feared was there.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Inside of the box you find a worn, leather-bound journal. The writing is nearly illegible, but you are able to glean that the GenAg research facility has been placed under fully automated control. Robotic guards were implemented to prevent unauthorized entry, but mostly function to keep the experiments and their unintended consequences contained. The facility was not shut down because it still generates data for the company. \nWhile reading, you do not notice as vines emerge from the wetlands and wrap themselves around your legs. Learning the secrets enclosed within the journal was almost worth dying for.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
As you walk out of the corn you find yourself face-to-face with a small, wheeled robot. You notice that it has a green flashing light on top of it. You have a feeling that it wants you to follow it.\n[[Follow the robot.|16A]]\n[[Step around the robot and continue toward the building.|16B]]\n[[Walk slowly backwards into the corn.|16C]]
Pushing through the corn, you feel the rough leaves against your skin. Hearing the wind rustle the surrounding stalks, are suddenly filled with fright and start sprinting through the corn. Not able to see in the darkness, you do not notice the large hole until you have reached the bottom of it. After catching your breath you start to pull yourself out by tugging on nearby corn stalks. Then you realize that they are tugging back!\n[[Pull your hands away from the corn.|15E]]\n[[Relax your hands and hope the corn relseases you.|15D]]\n[[Start singing to calm to corn.|15F]]
After much struggling and pain you are able to free yourself from the roots. Hoisting yourself up and out of the hole you start off to the East again. Peering through the corn you can see a very dim light.\n[[Head towards the light.|8B]]
Relaxing your hands, you feel the pressure from the roots increase. When you realize that inaction is not the answer, you begin to struggle, but by that time it is already too late. You watch as the roots advance up your arms and know that you will not be able to break free.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
"I am sorry, but that is incorrect. You have made it abundantly obvious that you are not affiliated with GenAg and have no business here. You will be marked for deletion. I apologize for any pain this may cause you."\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Bursting into a quiet song you try to calm the plant. Either your singing has angered it or maybe you sang remarkably well. Regardless the corn has started growing at an incredible rate. Within seconds you find your whole body engulfed in roots.\n\n*You will not be making it home* -THE END
Scott Mitchell